[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.0-rc4

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jun 15 01:45:32 PDT 2008

Jamie Kennea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem. I had to quit Xquartz, due to not being able to
> resolve stuck Caps Lock key issues. Now I can't restart it, or at
> least, it restarts if I click on the X11 icon, but any attempt to open
> an xterm results in the error:
>
> Xlib: connection to "/tmp/launch-cQnghr/:0" refused by server
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: /tmp/launch-cQnghr/:0

This sounds similar to what I observe with 2.3.0-rc4:
The automatic startup of X11 does no longer work.

If I start an X11 client while X11 is not running, the X server starts
up, but the client does not start. Instead, I get a message

Xlib: connection to "/tmp/launch-Y2gnWE/:0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: /tmp/launch-Y2gnWE/:0

This happens with every X client I tried, not only xterm.
The problem does not appear when X11.app is already running.
Thus running "xterm" twice will succed the second time.

This is particularly annoying for remote connections over ssh, because
then the problem persists: Running xterm the first time starts up the
local X server and gives the error message

Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0

But then every attempt to start a remote X client results in the same
error message, although the X server is already running. Only closing
and restarting the ssh session helps.

This somehow defeats the automatic startup of X11 idea.

--
Martin