[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.0-rc4

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jun 15 15:05:16 PDT 2008

Merle Reinhart wrote:
> Ok.  The problem is the .Xauthority file.
>
> Starting X11 I get the error everyone is talking about after I deleted
> the .Xauthority file.  An empty one didn't solve the problem, it
> wanted actual contents.
>
> 1) So, I started X11, got the errror.
> 2) cp .Xauthority my.Xauthority    # The idea here is to save a valid
> file
> 3) quit X11.  This deletes the contents of the .Xauthority file which
> means the next time you start up X11, you get the error
> 4) cp my.Xauthority .Xauthority  # This gives X11 some contents on
> startup
> 5) startup X11 and no error.

I can confirm this, with the addition:

6) Subsequent starts of xterm w/o X11: No error.

So it seems quitting X11 kills the ~/.Xauthority file, but only if it
was dead or non-existent at X11 startup. If there was a valid non-empty
~/.Xauthority file when X11 started, it will not be destroyed at
quitting X11. Weird.

--
Martin