[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.0 rc4

Peter Collinson pc at hillside.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 14:31:18 PDT 2008

Here's another side effect of the change - which I have worked around,
so I can work, and don't really understand.

If I have a application menu entry
	Terminal => xterm -vb -lc -sb -sl 5000

The xterm starts and seems OK. However if I use:

	emacs -nw

I find that Control-O is apparently not working. Emacs is not actually
seeing it, if I type describe-key ^O into emacs nothing happens.  I
have ^O bound to 'Command open-line'. Emacs in this case is version
22.2.1 from macports - although I've not recompiled it against the new
libraries with 2.3.0 rc4.

I also get redraw problems in the terminal, as if the terminfo isn't
working quite correctly - bits of the Emacs minibuffer 'go missing'-
somewhat as if the terminal is not configured correctly for the
command sequence it's getting. The terminal type is xterm-color.

If I start an xterm from this xterm - the sub-shell xterm runs Emacs
impeccably. This is weird - both the terminals started by X and the
one started by hand appear to have the same environment and stty
settings.

Well I notice that the xterms are running with luit - well it seems
that one started by X is - the one I started by hand isn't. I presumed
that the one started by hand is affected by the locale code in my
startup sequence - and essentially things are solved by inserting
locale setting code before calling /usr/X11/bin/xterm - which is what
uxterm does. So changing the menu setting to call uxterm is the
solution - except that it doesn't obey my Xresources which talks about
Xterms..

I've worked around things by adapting the uxterm script into a private
xterm program.