[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.2.0_rc1

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sun Mar 23 04:25:24 PDT 2008

+ Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com>:

> I've put together a release candidate pkg of 2.2.0.

Excellent!

> exposé bug fixed

Superb!

>From my limited testing so far, Exposé works fine, but not in
conjunction with Spaces. Is that expected?

Here is what I have done:

In space 1: Started X11 from a Terminal by running xlogo, then
killing that xlogo when its window showed; started xterm from the
Terminal window.

Switched to space 3. Started a remote xterm using quicksilver
(i.e., quicksilver runs a script that does ssh -f remote xterm).

When the remote xterm started, I got automatically transferred back to
space 1. But the remote xterm resides in space 3 where I wanted it.
Minor inconvenience only so far.

Now the buggy behaviour: Right now, I am in space 1. There are
three windows: The local xterm, the Terminal, and carbon emacs. The
xterm is hindmost, with some of it showing. If I click on the xterm,
X11 is activated, but the xterm is not moved to the foreground, nor is
it activated. But weirdest of all: The xterm gets keyboard focus if I
move the cursor OUT of it and loses focus once I move the cursor back
IN.  No, worse! The xterm gains focus when I move the cursor across a
part of its boundary hidden by the other windows. If I take the cursor
out across a visible portion of its boundary, it remains unfocused.

I'll play with this a bit more and see if I can manage to reproduce
this reliably, but thought I'd dash off this report while I am seeing
it and my memory is fresh, in case it turns out difficult to
reproduce.

Wait, there is more: If I use exposé to select the local xterm, I am
popped into space 3. When switching back to space 1, the local xterm
is on top, but if I click on it, the window underneath comes to the
top and the xterm pops back to the bottom where it was originally.

Final part of the experiment: Hit F8 and drag the local xterm into
space 3. Everything I try works like it should. I use F8 again and
drag it back to space 1: Everything still OK.

My tentative conclusion then, is that Spaces messes up its view of
what belongs where when that second X11 window is created in a
different space. (Remember how I said I got popped back in space 1?)
But when I use F8 and start dragging the window Spaces is confused
about, it gets unconfused.

Oh, and I lost the use of my favourite terminal font, bitstream vera
sans mono, until I ran mkfontscale and mkfontdir on
/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/ and restarted X11. Now all is well on that
count.

- Harald