[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.2.0_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Mar 23 10:28:52 PDT 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, at 04:25, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com>:
>
>> I've put together a release candidate pkg of 2.2.0.
>
> Excellent!
>
>> exposé bug fixed
>
> Superb!
>
>> From my limited testing so far, Exposé works fine, but not in
> conjunction with Spaces. Is that expected?

Yes.  Spaces is going to require a bit more involved work.  In short,
I think I'll have a solution available in the short term which solves
most of the "switching" issues but which breaks 'F8' support (windows
that are in "other" spaces won't appear when you hit F8).  The long-
term solution will actually be much more complicated.

I can't offer a timeline for either solution.  Right now, the spaces
issue is lower in priority than the reproducible crash and lockup.
Exposé was the bigger issue in my mind because it borked windows even
when they were in the same space.

> Now the buggy behaviour: Right now, I am in space 1. There are
> three windows: The local xterm, the Terminal, and carbon emacs. The
> xterm is hindmost, with some of it showing. If I click on the xterm,
> X11 is activated, but the xterm is not moved to the foreground, nor is
> it activated. But weirdest of all: The xterm gets keyboard focus if I
> move the cursor OUT of it and loses focus once I move the cursor back
> IN.  No, worse! The xterm gains focus when I move the cursor across a
> part of its boundary hidden by the other windows. If I take the cursor
> out across a visible portion of its boundary, it remains unfocused.

Are you using focus follows mouse, I'm guessing?

> My tentative conclusion then, is that Spaces messes up its view of
> what belongs where when that second X11 window is created in a
> different space. (Remember how I said I got popped back in space 1?)
> But when I use F8 and start dragging the window Spaces is confused
> about, it gets unconfused.

Yeah, that's part of it.  There is lack of communication between the X
server and OSX's Windows Server about where these windows are located.

> Oh, and I lost the use of my favourite terminal font, bitstream vera
> sans mono, until I ran mkfontscale and mkfontdir on
> /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/ and restarted X11. Now all is well on that
> count.

Odd.  That should've been done.  I will investigate.  Thanks for the
report.