[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.2.0_rc1

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 28 01:30:01 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> Because they are horrific reminders of the dark ages from which we shall
> never return.
>
> That and they didn't really work right to begin with.
>
> On Mar 26, 2008, at 17:05, Martin Costabel wrote:
>> Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>> I've put together a release candidate pkg of 2.2.0.
>>
>> Why have xmkmf, imake and friends disappeared?

But they are still used by open source projects, for example with the
AC_PATH_X autoconf macro for locating X11 libs and includes. In theory,
this macro should also work when xmkmf is absent, but in practice it
doesn't. I haven't yet tried to find out exactly how and why it fails in
the concrete case where I noticed the failure.

I noticed the absence of xmkmf when suddenly building texmacs failed.
With all previous versions of X11 it builds OK, but with 2.2.0-rc1 it
doesn't. Copying the missing xmkmf, imake, and the lib/X11/config/
directory back from 2.1.4 into 2.2.0-rc1 makes it build again.

--
Martin