[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.2.0_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Mar 28 11:26:11 PDT 2008

> I do not think removal of xmkmf at this time is advisable, due to this
> autoconf limitation :(

1) Installing the 2.2.0 release over an existing install will not
delete xmkmf and imake.
2) This is a developer issue, not an end-user issue.
    * I realize that this is not quite that clear-cut.  End-users use
fink which compiles code.
3) This has an easy workaround and a fix
    * I have also forwarded this issue internally, so it is known by
the group maintaining autoconf for Apple as well.

I will not be re-adding xmkmf and imake as a workaround for this
issue.  The real fix is to autoconf.

I am calling 2.2.0 a "full" release, but there is nothing stopping you
from installing it over the Leopard-supplied X11 just as you all have
been with 2.1.x to keep imake and xmkmf around.