DRI (Was Re: [Xquartz-dev] Google Summer of Code 2008 query)

Pelle Johansson morth at morth.org
Fri Mar 28 12:39:59 PDT 2008

28 mar 2008 kl. 18.50 skrev Jeremy Huddleston:

> On Mar 28, 2008, at 00:38, Pelle Johansson wrote:
>> Well, as for planning how it should be done, once an understanding
>> is grasped of the source tree, I think it should go something like
>> this.
>>
>> 1) Separate out the tight dependency of the drm library from the
>> XF86Dri protocol, from xserver and mesa.
>>
>> That would be the optimal solution, but requires cooperation with
>> the linux/bsd X developers. It they object to this, the alternative
>> is to make a fake drm library for OS X, even though the
>> architecture is completely different.
>
> I'm pretty sure there should be little to no resistance here from
> the community.  I think the tight dependency on drm was just because
> it was quicker than putting in the abstraction and they didn't see
> anyone needing it at the time.  Still, if you look at Pelle's patch,
> you'll see the integration hasn't turned into spaghetti quite yet.

Sounds good.

I just took a look at the mesa commit log, and it seems like Kristian
Høgsberg <krh at redhat.com> is working on a version 2 of the XF86Dri
protocol, and is abstracting out the calls to work with version 1 or
2. Looks like the perfect opportunity to do this part as well (so far
it still seems to depend on libdrm).

Looks like his changes could've helped applying Apple-DRI the old way
more clean as well...
--
Pelle Johansson