[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.2.0_rc1

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 28 15:40:35 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2008, at 14:47, Martin Costabel wrote:
>> Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> []
>>> I will not be re-adding xmkmf and imake as a workaround for this
>>> issue.  The real fix is to autoconf.
>>
>> Then please announce this clearly in the release notes so that people
>> wondering why their packages don't build any more can get a clue.
>
> I don't understand.  Why would their packages fail to build anymore?  I
> suspect most people will install this just like past releases (all of
> which didn't include xmkmf and imake) over an existing X11 install.  I
> will mention in the release notes that xmkmf and imake are being removed.

Most people, perhaps, but there will be enough others. I was thinking of
people reading your original announcement:

> This is a *FULL* release, not just an update.
> You can install this if you have no existing X11 on your system

I, for one, read this and moved my original /usr/X11 aside before
installing 2.2.0-rc1. I suspect others will have done the same.

Plus, this will be the only full X11 available for download, so there
will be many using this for a fresh install of X11 instead of the one
from their Leopard system disks they can't find any more. You certainly
remember having seen several people on the x11-users list who even tried
to install the X11User.pkg for OSX 10.3 on 10.4 or 10.5, just because it
is currently the only X11 available for download from Apple.

--
Martin