[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.0-rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon May 12 16:55:55 PDT 2008

I've just finished uploading the first release candidate for the next
X11 package installer.  You can find it here:

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/downloads/X11-2.3.0_rc1.pkg

Some notes (IMPORTANT, READ ME!!!):
The installer requires 10.5.3, so if you don't have access to a seed
of 10.5.3, you'll have to wait until release.  This package doesn't
"really" need 10.5.3, but I don't want people to install the 10.5.3 OS
update after this package and then forget to reinstall X11 because it
will cause some issues due to the new startup mechanism (you'll loose
the X11 menus, etc).

As of 2.3.0-rc1, the server bits are actually located in the bundle. /
usr/X11/bin/Xquartz is just a stub that "does the right thing" to
start the server (for now, it's just doing an exec(), but it will be
done via Mach-IPC in the future).  This allowed us to clean out all
the extra cruft we had in xinit.  There are some side-effects to note:

If you copied or moved your X11.app bundle from its default location,
you will need to update the copy with the new one after installation.
If you don't, you run the risk that /usr/X11/bin/Xquartz will find the
old one and you'll see messages to Console.app indicating this.  If
X11 fails to start after updating to 2.3.0, this is the most likely
culprit.  Check Console.app for debugging messages that will tell you
the location of X11.app that Xquartz is finding.

You will not be able to use any of the Xquartz binaries from previous
releases with this release, and visa-versa.  That is why I haven't
made an updated binary drop for a while.  From now on, you'll need to
grab X11-1.4.0-appleXX.bz2 and drop it over /Applications/Utilities/
X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11 rather than updating /usr/X11/bin/Xquartz.

ChangeLog:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/ChangeLog