[Xquartz-dev] 10.4.3/2.3.0-rc2 spaces issue

Jamie Kennea jamie at pompey.org
Thu May 29 13:46:04 PDT 2008

Hi,

I've found a spaces issue with 2.3.0-rc2 under 10.4.3, relating to a
new feature in the 10.4.3 version of Spaces.  The Spaces preference
now contains a new option, the rather wordy: "When switching to an
application, switch to a space with open windows for the application".

When this is unchecked, clicking on the Dock icon or using command-tab
to select it will not automatically switch the space to the
application, so for example you can open a Safari window on another
Space by clicking on the Dock icon then pressing command-N. Double
clicking on the Dock icon will switch to the Space where the active
window is.

This is basically the implementation of spaces auto switching that I
had been hoping for since Leopard was released, so I'm very happy.

However - it doesn't work with X11. Clicking the Dock icon once, or
selecting X11 app with cmd-tab still autoswitches to the space where
X11 was activated like the old pre 10.4.3 Spaces behaviour, so in
essence X11 ignores the Spaces preference setting.

Cheers,

Jamie