[Xquartz-dev] glxgears performance differences in rooted/rootless window

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Mon Nov 10 21:22:06 PST 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 6:30 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>> I guess I was confused to see the window first appear against the
>> Apple desktop when I thought X11 was in fullscreen mode. When I
>> tried this under Apple's stock X11 from 10.5.4 I don't remember
>> seeing this,m i thought new X11 windows were always drawn off-
>> screen in the X11 root window.
>
> No... The fullscreen support was just added in 2.3.2_beta2 (or maybe
> beta1, I forget)... It was not present in the X11 version with
> 10.5.4... so with that X11.app, you only had the rootless mode.

You are right, not full-screen, there was always an OS-X menu bar. I
seem to remember some setting that toggled whether the root X11
desktop would show or not while in X11. I might be confused about this.

Anyway, I just retried it with the "Focus on new window" turned off,
and I got the same result. I quit X11 and restarted, and got it again.

I am seeing strange things when just switching in and out of
fullscreen with cmd-option-A repeatedly. The first time I switch out
of fullscreen with cmd-option-A I see the Apple desktop, menu bar,
dock as expected. When I switch back to fullscreen mode and out again,
I see the menu bar and dock, but I still see the X11 root window
background and nothing from my Apple desktop. If I command-tab to
another app, the X11 desktop remains and I'm unable to access any
items on the Apple desktop until I quit X11. I don't personally keep
things on the desktop, but this seems like an issue.  Has anyone else
seen this?

Perhaps this is specific to my wm. I compiled it under 10.5.4. Maybe
time to recompile?

Dave