[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc2

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Nov 27 10:36:55 PST 2008

On Nov 27, 2008, at 04:41, Jeroen Hegeman wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> X11 seems to work fine, except for this `jumping around of xemacs'
> issue.

Ok, what "jumping around xemacs issue" do you mean?  Do you mean the
geometry placement bug?  That's definitely been fixed.

> I still see this in rc2.

Please describe the bug and how to reproduce it.

> I can confirm that this has something to do with changing fonts. If
> I remove all font-related business from my xemacs startup files, it
> opens in the right spot. If I now change the font to anything else
> than it is, or if I change the font size, the window moves to
> somewhere top left (top left corner of window just outside the
> screen). This has nothing to do with xemacs startup, since I can now
> move the window around, but changing the font (or size) again moves
> it back to the top left of the screen.

What is the output of 'quartz-wm --version'?

> Could it be that when the window is redrawn after the font change
> the geometry setting is ignored?

No, the problem was that the ConfigureNotify was sending the wrong
data, and emacs was using it to move itself to where it already was.

> Feel free to let me know if there's more info I can provide to track
> this down.

Can you try using this (which is the one everyone reported this bug
fixed in last week):
http://people.freedesktop.org/~jeremyhu/quartz-wm-debug-20081118.3.bz2

decompress it and replace /usr/X11/bin/quartz-wm with it.  Then make a
~/.xinitrc with:

. /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc >& ${HOME}/xinitrc-debug.txt

as the contents.  You should then send me the xinitrc-debug.txt