[Xquartz-dev] Experiences with 2.3.2_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Nov 27 10:39:47 PST 2008

On Nov 27, 2008, at 06:16, Richard Tobin wrote:

>>> (3) On one occasion, on starting up X I got the X background with a
>>> beachball cursor.  The only way I found to get out of it was to log
>>> in from another machine and kill X11.app.  alt-apple-a did not work.
>
>> I'd really like to see a crash log of this if you have it...
>> otherwise
>> there's nothing I can do since this is the first report I've heard of
>> it.
>
> What should I do to get a crash log?  Is it possible to attach to
> the server process with a debugger and see what it's doing?

When an application crashes, you usually get a window pop up that
tells you it crashed and asks if you want to send the crash log to
Apple... you should send it but also copy/paste it into an email to me.

You can also sample the process while it's running using 'sample' and
send me the resulting file.

>> PS I advise you to not have a ~/.xinitrc... Starting with 2.3.2_rc2,
>> you'll be able to drop scripts into ~/.xinitrc.d that will get
>> executed by the system xinitrc right before it would launchd the WM.
>> That way you can take advantage of changes to the system xinitrc.
>
> Is this scheme described somewhere?

Not yet.  I'll update the wiki eventually.  Just look at /usr/X11/lib/
X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/98* ...

>  The man page for xinit does not
> mention it.  Looking at /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99-quartz-
> wm.sh
> I take it that the idea is to set USERWM rather than running a window
> manager myself?
>
> By the way, should I still be running "quartz-wm --only-proxy"?

No, that's just a big noop loop now ;).