[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_beta1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Oct 11 16:42:35 PDT 2008

On Oct 11, 2008, at 10:34, Dave Ray wrote:
> I can copy text from xterm -> Textedit, but NOT Eterm -> Textedit.
> Perhaps I need to recompile that with a flag of some sort.

What happens if you have xterm open with text selected in eterm and
you middle click in xterm?

> I can copy graphics from Preview -> Gimp, Photoshop -> Gimp and
> Graphic Converter -> Gimp.
> I can NOT copt graphics from Gimp -> any graphics app in OS-X.

How are you doing this?  cmd-c should not do that.  Gimp does not put
images into PRIMARY.  You need to use CLIPBOARD (gimp's edit->copy).

> To copy from an X11 app to OS-X, I select the text/graphic, then use
> command-C in the OS-X menu

Gimp doesn't put the image into PRIMARY.  cmd-c just copies what's in
PRIMARY to the pasteboard.  You need to do edit->copy in gimp.

> Another observation:
> If the selected text/graphic is selected, and then deselected, the
> normal X11 behavior is to keep the last selected item in the X11
> clipboard buffer

I think you're confusing CLIPBOARD and PRIMARY.

> , even without explicitly using keys to copy. This is
> because X11 doesn't have global copy/paste keys like OS-X. I found
> that if I deselect the selected item in X11, and then use command-C,
> the item is in the X11 buffer but not copied to the OS-X clipboard.

Nope.  I just tried this.  Selected text in urxvt, deselected, edit-
 >copy, then pasted into this Mail.app window to get what was selected
pasted here (expected behavior).

> This is probably by design but I wanted to be sure.

No, it is actually impossible to architect the behavior you are
describing because we have no way to know that the text was deselected.

>>> If you are getting this message, pbproxy is still being launched
>>> somehow, even though it is not in your .xinitrc.
>>
>> Or any other application that claims the CLIPBOARD_MANAGER atom
>> (xclipboard, klipper, etc).
>
> So, does this mean the message "pbproxy will not sync clipboard.." is
> a generic message that will be displayed in the startup logs if there
> is any conflict, even if pbproxy is not installed?

xpbproxy will report that error message if it attempts to acquire the
CLIPBOARD_MANAGER atom, but another X11 client has already acquired
it.  In other words, if you run xclipboard, pbproxy, klipper, gnome-
clipboard-manager, etc before xpbproxy, you'll get that message and
syncing from CLIPBOARD to PB will be disabled.