[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_beta1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Oct 11 17:33:14 PDT 2008

On Oct 11, 2008, at 16:57, Dave Ray wrote:
> That's how I did it. I selected text in the terminal, hit command-C,
> switched to Textedit, hit command-P.

I assume you mean command-v.

Did you try using the menu rather than the keyboard shortcut?

> I should have explained what I did a little better.. Yes this is
> actually what I did. I opened a JPEG image in Gimp, selected all and
> copied using the menus from within Gimp.

You were good up to this point.  That "puts" the image into
CLIPBOARD.  xpbproxy then copies that to pasteboard.

> After this, I hit command-C.

And this is your problem.  Now, you copied whatever in PRIMARY to the
pasteboard.

> Then I switch to the graphics app in OS-X, and typed command-P.

Again, I assume you mean command-v.

command-c just copies what's in PRIMARY (selected).  If you want
what's in CLIPBOARD to be in pasteboard, that's handled automatically
whenever CLIPBOARD is changed.

> This is normal X11 behavior. It is just a little different that OS-X.
> In a terminal window, type some text and then highlight it with the
> mouse (button1). Then un-highlight it by clicking the mouse elsewhere
> in the terminal window (button 1). Then click mouse button 2, and the
> text you highlighted should automagically get typed into the terminal.

Right.

>  his is normal copy-paste behavior in the X11 world. It's natural that
> the question would arise, when should this buffer be allowed to get
> copied to the OS-X buffer. Only when it's highlighted? or, whenever it
> is in the X11 paste buffer. This is what I was testing and describing
> in my post.

We have no way to know when it's deselected.  All edit->copy does is
put what's in PRIMARY into pasteboard.  There is nothing fancy going
on behind the scenes at the X11 client level since we actually can't
do anything at that level anyways.

> Under the current implementation, the text gets copied when it is
> highlighted, but will not copy after you click to unhighlight it, even
> when it remains in the X11 paste buffer.

I highly doubt that is deterministic.  There's no way to actually
implement the behavior you described (unless it's due to a race
condition)... and I just tested it out here and it works as expected.