[Xquartz-dev] Xquartz-dev Digest, Vol 12, Issue 7

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Oct 11 22:10:03 PDT 2008

>> Did you try using the menu rather than the keyboard shortcut?
>
> Yes, tried it both ways and was the same.

Well I can't reproduce that at all...  I'll get you a binary with
debug spew to try out (or maybe George can get it for you)

>> I highly doubt that is deterministic.  There's no way to actually
>> implement the behavior you described (unless it's due to a race
>> condition)... and I just tested it out here and it works as expected.
>
> Well I just re-tested and I really am seeing this. Here's a more
> expanded description of what I'm seeing with copy/paste, which I've
> taken the time to capture in hope that it is helpful for developers.
>
> If I type text at the prompt in xterm, highlight it with the mouse,
> then deselect it, then select OS-X menu Edit-> Copy (also tried
> command-C) then try to paste in Textedit and nothing happens, but in
> xterm I can still recall that previously highlighted text with button
> 2, as expected for X11.
> If I do the exact same thing, but select OS-X Edit-> Copy while the
> text in xterm is still highlighted, it does copy to Textedit. I get
> the same result with command-C as I do with Edit -> Copy.

Hmm... actually, I was just testing with urxvt.  I see the behavior
you describe when using xterm, and I can only surmise that it responds
differently when it is unselected than when it's selected.  I'll leave
this in George's court, but it's definitely specific to xterm (and I
guess your eterm as well).

urxvt works as expected.

> Is there something wrong with my Eterm, or is this the
> symptom of something going on system wide in X11?

It's probably something specific to eterm and xterm.  We have issues
with nedit too...

> On the graphics side, I re-tested and have some details. I can copy
> from Preview to Gimp, but not vise-versa. I tried every possible way I
> could think of that might work. After opening and selecting an image
> in Gimp, I tried just selecting an area and then using OS-X Copy;
> tried selecting an area, using Edit -> Copy from within Gimp, then
> using OS-X copy.  Tried all these with command-C in place of the OS-X
> menu copy. None of these combinations would paste into Preview or
> Photoshop from Gimp.
>
> I cannot copy from Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 to Gimp at all. This
> is strange: When I copy an image in Photoshop, I can paste it into
> Preview, but not X11 Gimp. When I copy an image in Preview, I can
> paste it into both Photoshop and into X11 Gimp.

We'll have to see what the debug output shows...