[Xquartz-dev] Xquartz-dev Digest, Vol 12, Issue 7

William Mortensen william5 at u.washington.edu
Sat Oct 11 22:37:09 PDT 2008

On Oct 11, 2008, at 9:42 PM, Dave Ray wrote:

> On the graphics side, I re-tested and have some details. I can copy
> from Preview to Gimp, but not vise-versa. I tried every possible way I
> could think of that might work. After opening and selecting an image
> in Gimp, I tried just selecting an area and then using OS-X Copy;
> tried selecting an area, using Edit -> Copy from within Gimp, then
> using OS-X copy.  Tried all these with command-C in place of the OS-X
> menu copy. None of these combinations would paste into Preview or
> Photoshop from Gimp.

No no no. You're still doing it wrong. :-) With an application like
Gimp that has its own Copy menu item (in the menu bar in the Gimp
window), you don't use OS X's Copy at all. So you should just hit ctrl-
C (aka Gimp's Copy) and then switch to Preview or whatever and paste.

You only use OS X's Copy (command-C) for applications that don't have
their own Copy menu item, like xterm. This difference exists because
there are two different mechanisms for supporting copy and paste in
X11, which is why Jeremy keeps talking about CLIPBOARD vs. PRIMARY.