[Xquartz-dev] pbproxy-13 (a pasteboard proxy for XQuartz)

xquartz-dev.5.mzs at spamgourmet.com xquartz-dev.5.mzs at spamgourmet.com
Fri Oct 17 08:51:47 PDT 2008

Oh my goodness, I just noticed I had this in my postpoed list and had not
sent to the list.

Hi George,

First thanks for the great work with copy/paste. I was able to test it out
and even copy a small image, fantastic.

I have a suggestion for an improvement. Since the 8-bit does not work well
with X11.app I used Xvnc and Screen Sharing to run those set of programs.

I have some some scripts I use to sync-up the OS X paste board and the X11
selection which I have as menu items in my .twmrc:

$ head bin/xpb bin/pbx
==> bin/xpb <==
#!/bin/sh

# X selection to Paste-buffer
xsel -p | pbcopy

==> bin/pbx <==
#!/bin/sh

# Paste-buffer to X selection
pbpaste | xsel -c

That works a lot of the time but not for really big amounts of data and
sometimes characters get messed-up. So I have to do things like cat into a
file or /dev/null, use terminal.app as a go between, scp, etc - ie lots
of anying workarounds in various cases.

It would be really nice if pbproxy detected the un-presence of the AppleWM
extentsion and still ran in the background. I am guessing it is only doing
that for syncing-up with the preferences and handling the edit -> copy
menu and keyboard shortcut. You would not need to worry about the first
case and the second could be handled with a SIGUSR1 handler. Then people
that don't use X11.app could have this great tool. I would simply put a
killall -USR1 pbproxy in my .twmrc for example.

Again thanks for all the very good and appreciated work.

mzs