[Xquartz-dev] pbproxy-13 (a pasteboard proxy for XQuartz)

Mike Sliczniak xquartz-dev.5.mzs at spamgourmet.com
Fri Oct 17 11:17:13 PDT 2008

Hi Jeremy,

Keep in mind that all of this is with Xvnc not X11.app as the server
through this reply.

mzs

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Jeremy Huddleston - jeremyhu at apple.com wrote:

> If the AppleWM extension is not present, then we don't have a way of knowing
> when we gain focus or when you do a copy.  This might be possible once we
> change the implementation to work with things like:

By gain focus you mean X11.app gains focus, right?

By do a copy you mean some one does Edit -> Copy or the keyboard shortcut,
right?

> as well as knowing when we leave or enter X11.app, so we can proxy to/from
> Pasteboard.

I see no problem with pbproxy making the X11 selection match the contents
of the Pasteboard whenever the PB changes regardless of if it is the
frontmost app or not. If it is not possible for a background app in OSX to
watch the PB then the alternative would be for it to do the PB -> X11sel
upon getting a SIGUSR2. Then I would have two commands in my .twmrc (just
like I do now) one from PB -> X (USR2) and the other X -> PB (USR1).

That might even be a neat feature for X11.app (implemented through apllewm
instead of signals though), the worthless Edit -> Paste could be enabled
to do the PB -> X only when a user wanted it (that might warrant a
different menu item text though). I personally like how I need to do the
Edit -> Copy to be able to paste something from an X11 program into an OSX
one. I sometimes annoys me that after I do an Edit -> Copy in some OSX app
I paste an unexpected gigantic blob of text into my xterm window sitting
at the bash prompt ;)

> You should be able to SIGHUP it to reload prefs (that's how quartz-wm was,
> and I think that code survived to pbproxy, but I'm not 100% certain of
> that... if not, I'll put that in later).

Cool, just like a daemon. It would be nice to have an arg to pbproxy to
specify an alternative config file, with an item in there to specify a new
name it could exec itself into so killall would only effect one in case
some one was running say 2 Xvnc sessions and one instance of X11.app all
with their own pbproxy.

mzs