[Xquartz-dev] override-redirect problems

Bob Murphy bobert at lavitanuova.com
Fri Oct 17 13:04:47 PDT 2008

> ===
>
> We're having some difficulty with menus in some applications like
> nedit and xemacs.  I believe these menus are windows with override-
> redirect set on them per section 4.1.10 (popup windows) of ICCCM:
> http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#s-4.1.10
>
> """
> If the window will be visible for a very short time and should not
> be decorated at all, the client can set override-redirect on the
> window. In general, this should be done only if the pointer is
> grabbed while the window is mapped. The window manager will never
> interfere with these windows, which should be used with caution. An
> example of an appropriate use is a pop-up menu.
> """

BTW, are there any instructions on how to replicate this problem with
nedit? I was trying to see how Ubuntu handles things like this, but
couldn't find any obvious way to get a pop-up menu or anything else
that looked like it used this mechanism. The pull-down menus appear to
be getting decorated by the window manager.

- Bob