[Xquartz-dev] override-redirect problems

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 17 15:21:22 PDT 2008

>> We need a way to bind the native window for this menu to the native
>> window for its parent.  Currently it is just bound to the Space in
>> which it is first rendered... so does anyone have some suggestions
>> for the least invasive way to go about this?  Doing some quick
>> investigation with xwininfo on the window, I see no wm hints, and
>> it's parent window id is the root window... so... yick.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Is the problem that (a) it's not clear what the parent should be

Yes.  The X11 parent window is the root window, and WM_TRANSIENT_FOR
is not set.

> , or
> (b) there's no place to store the parent in the child, or

There is a place... WM_TRANSIENT_FOR... but o-r windows are not
required to set WM_TRANSIENT_FOR, so we aren't told this information
(such is the problem with nedit and xemacs)

> (c) you know
> what the parent should be, but there's no way to communicate that to
> the Mac OS windowing system?

Not at all.

> If (a), given that the thrust of this feature seems to be to support
> things like popup menus, here's a heuristic that would make a good
> guess:
> 1. Pick the highest Window whose bounding region the popup menu's
> bounding region intersects.

Eek.  Not at all kosher or trivial.

> 2. If there is no intersection, pick the highest Window the mouse is
> over

Again, feels too kludgey to me...

> 3. If 1 and 2 both fail, pick the highest top-level Window.

Yeah, but this fails due to async:

1) Click on the File menu
2) Activate xterm
3) file window is mapped and now child of xterm

> If (b), and you don't want to re-use any of the existing Window
> fields, devPrivates is an option.

This needs to be something the WM has access to...

I think what I might just do is always move the window to the current
space when it is ordered in if it is override-redirect.