[Xquartz-dev] X11 siplay resolution

George Peter Staplin georgeps at xmission.com
Mon Oct 20 14:34:11 PDT 2008

Quoted Simone Karin Lehmann <simone at lisanet.de>:

> Some while ago this topic was discussed on the x11-users mailinglist
> and a bug report was filed
>
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/x11-users/2008/Jul/msg00003.html
>
> how the X11 display resoultion of 75 dpi could be easily changed to
> the more appropriate 96 dpi.
> For more information see this hint
>
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080621201901244
>
> Since the fix is quite small, is there any chance that this will go
> into the upcoming 2.3.2 ? Setting
>
> defaultserverargs="-dpi 96"
>
> in /usr/X11/bin/startx will be sufficient.
>
> Thx
> Simone

That sounds like a step in the right direction.  It should result in
better font and primitive drawing sizes with some toolkits that depend
on the DPI for scaling quantities.

My only concern is that the -dpi setting will be wrong with some
displays.  We should really be querying the native window system and
hardware to retrieve such data.

X11 on bare hardware uses hardware support based on VESA standards
like EDID to produce a DPI setting.

It's probably just a matter of using the native Mac API to retrieve
the display dimensions, and setting the dimensions in XQuartz, so that
things like WidthMMOfScreen/HeightMMOfScreen are right.

George
--
http://people.freedesktop.org/~gstaplin/