[Xquartz-dev] 1.4.2-apple20

robert delius royar x11 at frinabulax.org
Thu Oct 23 12:43:27 PDT 2008

Wed, 22 Oct 2008 (16:07 -0700 UTC) Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> It's been a while since I pushed out a binary update, and much has happened
> recently... I was planning on putting out a beta2, but I want to wait for
> some more things before packaging that all up, so here's something to hold
> you over in the mean time.
>
> http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/X11-1.4.2-apple20.bz2
>
> 1.4.2-apple20 brings in the following changes over 1.4.2-apple19:
>
> Fullscreen (same as Tiger)
> Follow-system layout works again (2.3.0 regression)
> Default dpi to 96 instead of 75
> Only send mouse events while in the background if we're over a visible
> window.
> This "breaks" xeyes but gets rid of annoying tooltips.
> Fixed window levels (this might fix that gimp issue... ?)
> It was compiled with applewmproto-1.1.1, so quartz-wm will now start with
> --no-pasteboard by default
>
> --Jeremy

I installed 2.3.2-beta1 and X11-1.4.2-apple20 on my 10.5.5 G5.  I found
that I could no longer paste text from X11 xterms or from XEmacs into
Safari's address window or forms.  I also discovered that I could not
paste any text from CoCoa-based text widgets into XEmacs or xterms.  I
could do this fine without any clipboard managers in XQuartz 2.3.1
(xorg-server 1.4.2-apple17). [I reverted to send this message and just
Command-V'ed the server's identification from the X11 about box into
this xterm.]  I logged out after installing the newer versions and
logged back in, so I do not think that was the problem.  However, I
would have thought that someone else would have reported having these
problems by now.  So I wonder whether I have neglected to install some
part I need.

I also noticed that I could get to a point (happened twice) where the
new version needed to be forced quit because clicking on windows would
not raise them.  This happened when switching from Safari to an
X11 window (or trying to switch).  I had it happen twice before I
decided to revert to the earlier version (i.e. XQuartz 2.3.1
(xorg-server 1.4.2-apple17)).

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar                   Associate Professor of English
Morehead State University                             Morehead, Kentucky