[Xquartz-dev] 1.4.2-apple20

robert delius royar x11 at frinabulax.org
Thu Oct 23 14:34:53 PDT 2008

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 (13:34 -0700 UTC) Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2008, at 12:43, robert delius royar wrote:
>
>> I installed 2.3.2-beta1 and X11-1.4.2-apple20 on my 10.5.5 G5.  I found
>> that I could no longer paste text from X11 xterms or from XEmacs into
>> Safari's address window or forms.  I also discovered that I could not paste
>> any text from CoCoa-based text widgets into XEmacs or xterms.  I could do
>> this fine without any clipboard managers in XQuartz 2.3.1 (xorg-server
>> 1.4.2-apple17). [I reverted to send this message and just Command-V'ed the
>> server's identification from the X11 about box into this xterm.]  I logged
>> out after installing the newer versions and logged back in, so I do not
>> think that was the problem.  However, I would have thought that someone
>> else would have reported having these problems by now.  So I wonder whether
>> I have neglected to install some part I need.
>
> Do you have a custom ~/.xinitrc ?? If so, you need to execute
> /usr/X11/bin/xpbproxy in it.

I do not have an .xinitrc, but I do launch a script instead of an xterm
using the set defaults variable for that.

Where would xpbproxy be launched?  Maybe it is not being launched
correctly on my system.  My startup script runs a number of programs.

>> I also noticed that I could get to a point (happened twice) where the new
>> version needed to be forced quit because clicking on windows would not
>> raise them.  This happened when switching from Safari to an X11 window (or
>> trying to switch).  I had it happen twice before I decided to revert to the
>> earlier version (i.e. XQuartz 2.3.1 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple17)).
>
> Did you happen to take a trace or save the crash report for this?

I looked for a crash report.  There were none.  There are two hang
reports, but they do not tell anything useful.

I am happy to reinstall and try again--especially to see if pbproxy is
being loaded.

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar
Sent from an Eee PC