[Xquartz-dev] xpbproxy Oct 29th 2008 test release

Viv Kendon V.Kendon at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 16:50:41 PDT 2008

Hi George,

these new xpbproxies are doing some not-nice things for me.

I'm trying this latest with xterms and RetroOffice (an X
build of NeoOffice)  So I haven't even gotten as far as
testing between X and Aqua.  RetroOffice uses ^C/^V/^X
(copy/paste/cut) within the application.  Up to 2.3.1 or so,
using the mouse to highlight then middle button to paste was
unreliable, and pasting into another app with anything
copied from RetroOfice was also unreliable whichever way it
was copied. This was just within X, never mind trying to
copy between X and Aqua.

Now I at least have consistent behavior, but it isn't what
I expect.

First, ^C to copy no longer works at all in RetroOffice.
Using cmd-C copies, but if it is something complex, like
cells in a spreadsheet, it invokes the RetroOffice text
import manager when pasting, which internal copy and paste
should not do.  It loses the formatting (as a consequence
of invoking the import manager I presume).  Actually, I had
some italic text converted to plain but with the font
changed to white, which took a while to figure out.  Anyway,
it plays havoc with normal spreadsheet moving groups of
cells around sort of editing, which used to work fine.

Secondly, using the mouse to highlight then middle button to
paste is working only within the same app while the text
stays highlighted.  After the highlighting goes, the pasted
text is whatever was previously yanked with cmd-C, wherever
that happened.  This is not nice, I am a highlight->middle
button person by habit within X.

Simple text copied with cmd-C in Aqua and pasted into
RetroOffice using ^V or middle mouse works, as does cmd-C in
RetroOffice and cmd-V in Aqua (FireFox in this case).  But
the cmd-C is necessary in X to get it to paste in Aqua, just
highlighting text doesn't do it.  I'm sure this has worked
in the past (maybe as far in the past as Tiger, fink's xorg
and autocutsel though).

I have not changed the X11 Pasteboard preferences, they are
all checked except the last (update Pasteboard immediately).
Perhaps I need to adjust these preferences??  I also have
focus follows mouse enabled, and I'm testing at the moment
on a MacBook Air.

Many thanks for the good work, having cut'n'paste work for
things like images is way cool.  I just don't happen to need
it myself at the moment.

-- Viv