[Xquartz-dev] Environment passed to Applications-launched processes

Glenn Eychaner geychaner at mac.com
Wed Sep 3 11:11:10 PDT 2008

	In fact, at least for 2.3.0, my testing indicates that X doesn't even
get the environment varables in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.  It gets
a default, vanilla environment.  I tested this in the following way:

	1) I created some environment variables in ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist, logged out and back in.
	2) I created an applescript containing 'do shell script "env > /tmp/
testenv1.txt; /usr/X11/bin/xterm"' and ran it.
	3) I added an application "testenv" with the command "env > /tmp/
testenv2.txt" to the X Applications menu. and ran it.

Sure enough, testenv1.txt contains the environment variables in
environment.plist, but testenv2.txt does not.  This is irritating,
because it means I can't define XAPPLRESDIR to find a bunch of X
resource files that aren't in the usual place.

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (geychaner at lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory