[Xquartz-dev] Tablet support in X11.app

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Sep 3 15:17:29 PDT 2008

So there has been quite a bit of back and forth about Tablet support
in X11 on OSX over the past few months on these lists.  I've spent
some time today cleaning it up some more and added support for
differentiating between the pen and eraser, but I haven't tested it
out due to lack of hardware here in the UK.  It will be included in
2.3.1_rc4 when I get around to pushing that out.

I tested Gimp.app for OSX, and it does not have tablet support.  This
is a Gimp.app bug.  They need to compile gdk with XInputExtension
support.  I tested out a version of gimp compiled on a linux machine
(using the Xquartz server), and it showed the devices when I clicked
the 'Configure Extended Input Devices' button in Gimp's preferences
(whereas the Gimp.app version does says it's not supported).

If you care about having support for your tablet in Gimp.app, then you
should report this bug to the Gimp.app maintainers and reference the
fact that it works with the Xquartz server and gimp on linux.