[Xquartz-dev] Making it less ambiguous - Copy/Paste Problem

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Sep 11 17:28:29 PDT 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 17:04, George Peter Staplin wrote:

> Quoted George Peter Staplin <georgeps at xmission.com>:
>>
>> What are your thoughts on the following?
>>
>>  1. get CLIPBOARD data when with have an XQuartz Edit->Copy.
>
> That should read: get CLIPBOARD data when there is an owner of it,
> after an XQuartz Edit->Copy...

My answer is still defiantly no.  Example to show why this is wrong:

1) select text in the TK Widget
PRIMARY="Owned by TK" CLIPBOARD=NULL PASTEBOARD=NULL
1a) Do X11.app's Edit->Copy
PRIMARY="Owned by TK" CLIPBOARD=NULL PASTEBOARD="TK Text 1"
2) do edit->copy in gimp
PRIMARY="Owned by TK" CLIPBOARD="Owned by Gimp" PASTEBOARD="GIMP IMAGE"
3) select new text in TK Widget
PRIMARY="Owned by TK" CLIPBOARD="Owned by Gimp" PASTEBOARD="GIMP IMAGE"
3a) Do X11.app's Edit->Copy
PRIMARY="Owned by TK" CLIPBOARD="Owned by Gimp" PASTEBOARD="GIMP IMAGE"

There's no reason why the user should expect the result in 3a.  They
just selected new text and did edit->copy.  Why should that proxy the
gimp image just because CLIPBOARD has an owner?  Additionally,
CLIPBOARD will always have an owner until the window that owns it is
closed... thus you'll have no way to get PRIMARY again (except for
your 'do Edit->Copy a second time' approach... which breaks
predictability in the HIG).