[Xquartz-dev] Proposal for PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD Copy/Paste

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Sep 12 13:02:50 PDT 2008

On Sep 12, 2008, at 12:44, Mark J. Reed wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Jeremy Huddleston
> <jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:
>> Paste, however, is impossible to implement and will be removed from
>> the
>> menu.
>
> Sure, obviously the X server can't force an application to do a paste.
> I just want what shows up when I use an application's Paste item to
> be whatever I most recently Copied, whether from an X app or not - at
> least for those apps that adhere to the conventions assumed by
> X11.app.

Well it will always be CLIPBOARD that it's pasted from, and under the
scheme I proposed, the default options would make this the data that
is in the PASTEBOARD if it was the last one set or the CLIPBOARD if it
was the last one set.  So, yes.  That is the expected behavior.

> But this statement confuses me:
>
>> When the user does Edit->Copy in the Gimp/Nedit/OpenOffice menu,
>> then that triggers CLIPBOARD to be sent to
>> PASTEBOARD.
>
> If that's the case, then presumably the data first had to get from
> PRIMARY to CLIPBOARD.  How does that happen?

No, it never goes from PRIMARY to CLIPBOARD.  If you use the Edit-
 >Copy option in OpenOffice.org, OOo claims CLIPBOARD.  When someone
asks it "hey, what's in CLIPBOARD," OOo is responsible for responding
whatever you had selected at the time you did the Edit->Copy (OOo menu
item).  "How" it does that is below the abstraction level that we care
about, but it probably just has a buffer somewhere that it dumps that
data into.