[Xquartz-dev] Notes on OSX 10.5.5

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 18 01:02:02 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> I don't like this solution because we're essentially adding in extra
> symlinks for no "real" reason except to support other libtool-archive
> files.

This is an extremely lame argument. *All* of these symlinks (the
minor->major ones) are there for exactly the same "not real" reason, and
*only* for that reason, namely to support Apple's very own *la files
from the X11SDK.pkg. And if you ship two different sets of *la files in
xcode-3.0 vs. xcode-3.1/3.1.1, then the basics of politeness would
require that you include the two sets of symlinks that make this
compatible, and do not continue for a whole year to ship incompatible
pieces.

Or make at least the *latest released* versions of both camps compatible
with each other. Right now, the symlinks shipped with 10.5.2 to 10.5.5
are incompatible with *both* xcode-3.0 (libXrandr) and xcode-3.1/3.1.1
(libXdamage and some others).

What you will do in the future is a different story. The thing is broken
*now* and has been broken for a long time.

> I'm sorry, but the "broken" .la files being shipped with Xcode
> will be removed as was mentioned about 2 months ago.  Xquartz.pkg will
> continue to ship the .la files to allow macports and fink users an
> alternative.  You've seen how long it's taken to get substantial X11
> updates into an OS update, so it seems like a battle not worth waging to
> try getting this kind of change into an OS update.

OK, I think everybody has understood by now that there are internal wars
going on at Apple between people doing the OS releases and people doing
the dev tools releases. But please don't continue to fight this out on
the back of your users.

(By "you", I don't mean you, Jeremy, of course. You continue to be the
champion of the users).

--
Martin