[Xquartz-dev] Notes on OSX 10.5.5

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Sep 18 08:09:57 PDT 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 01:02, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> I don't like this solution because we're essentially adding in extra
>> symlinks for no "real" reason except to support other libtool-archive
>> files.
>
> This is an extremely lame argument. *All* of these symlinks (the
> minor->major ones) are there for exactly the same "not real" reason,
> and
> *only* for that reason, namely to support Apple's very own *la files
> from the X11SDK.pkg. And if you ship two different sets of *la files
> in
> xcode-3.0 vs. xcode-3.1/3.1.1, then the basics of politeness would
> require that you include the two sets of symlinks that make this
> compatible, and do not continue for a whole year to ship incompatible
> pieces.

> Or make at least the *latest released* versions of both camps
> compatible
> with each other. Right now, the symlinks shipped with 10.5.2 to 10.5.5
> are incompatible with *both* xcode-3.0 (libXrandr) and xcode-3.1/3.1.1
> (libXdamage and some others).

As I've mentioned before, the release schedule for 3.1.1 was too far
along by the time we were made aware of this issue.  Furthemore, I've
continued to assert that this is being addressed in Xcode 3.1.2 in the
manner we discussed on this list about 2 months ago.

> What you will do in the future is a different story. The thing is
> broken
> *now* and has been broken for a long time.

Well, TBH, you were the one who lashed out at the idea of simply
punting the .la files in any manner.  That is the most viable fix, and
what we are heading towards.  I've asserted that
XQuartz,macosforge.org will continue to ship with .la files to give
those of you with macports/fink references to the .la files an
alternative option.  Buyt the more this conversation continues, the
more convinced I've become that I should nuke the .la files in
xquartz.macosforge.org as well.  The *fix* is then just 'rm /sw/lib/
*.la'... maybe fink and macports should consider not shipping
these .la files.  Heck, I manually nuke them on my Gentoo boxes
because they annoy the crap out of me when switching compilers...
there's even less reason to have them on OSX.