[Xquartz-dev] pbproxy - a copy/paste proxy for XQuartz

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Sat Sep 27 17:33:11 PDT 2008

I installed the pbproxy package on my system, which runs Enlightenment
window manager and does not use quartz-wm. Wanted to give some feedback.

I used install.sh, the behavior of copy/paste was the same as before
the installer. I ran top at the terminal to see what was running, and
pbproxy was not running. So I just ran it by hand: sudo pbproxy &  And
then all the copy-paste operations worked great. I'm not sure how the
installer intended to set up pbproxy to run, but you might want to
adjust the installer so pbproxy runs even when there's a different
window manager being used.

Text copied fine between Textedit and the terminal, graphics copied
fine between Preview and Gimp. I did not test RTF text. What I did
test worked perfectly. Hooray!

One issue to note with X11.app, the Copy and Paste commands in the OS-
X menu, when X11.app is in front, Paste is still greyed out when there
is a clipboard buffer. I could paste using the X11 app's own separate
menu, but I could not hit command-V. Is this bug documented?

On my system, I choose not to run quartz-wm at all, so all I really
need to do is add pbproxy to my .xinitrc:

source /etc/bashrc
pbproxy &
exec /usr/local/bin/e16

If pbproxy ends up embedded in another binary, I'll just take out the
2nd line.
Hope this feedback is useful. Let me know if you see any issues with
my setup or if you want more info.
Dave