[Xquartz-dev] pbproxy - a copy/paste proxy for XQuartz

George Peter Staplin georgeps at xmission.com
Sun Sep 28 09:56:13 PDT 2008

Quoted Dave Ray <apple at jonive.com>:

> I installed the pbproxy package on my system, which runs Enlightenment
> window manager and does not use quartz-wm. Wanted to give some feedback.
>
> I used install.sh, the behavior of copy/paste was the same as before
> the installer. I ran top at the terminal to see what was running, and
> pbproxy was not running. So I just ran it by hand: sudo pbproxy &  And
> then all the copy-paste operations worked great. I'm not sure how the
> installer intended to set up pbproxy to run, but you might want to
> adjust the installer so pbproxy runs even when there's a different
> window manager being used.

I'm not sure how to detect that a different window manager is being
used at the moment.  I could add a note to the README.txt about how to
install it if you use something other than quartz-wm with an ~/.xinitrc.

> Text copied fine between Textedit and the terminal, graphics copied
> fine between Preview and Gimp. I did not test RTF text. What I did
> test worked perfectly. Hooray!

I appreciate that you tried it, and it worked.  Thank you for responding.

> One issue to note with X11.app, the Copy and Paste commands in the OS-
> X menu, when X11.app is in front, Paste is still greyed out when there
> is a clipboard buffer. I could paste using the X11 app's own separate
> menu, but I could not hit command-V. Is this bug documented?

Unfortunately the Paste menu item can't realistically work, so Jeremy
has removed it from XQuartz in newer releases.  The problem is that
X11 toolkits can have different methods of doing a paste.  There is
realistically no clearly defined way to make a general X11 app paste
exactly what you want, without using a key sequence, or middle mouse
button, or menu item specific to that toolkit or application.

> On my system, I choose not to run quartz-wm at all, so all I really
> need to do is add pbproxy to my .xinitrc:
>
> source /etc/bashrc
> pbproxy &
> exec /usr/local/bin/e16
>
> If pbproxy ends up embedded in another binary, I'll just take out the
> 2nd line.
> Hope this feedback is useful. Let me know if you see any issues with
> my setup or if you want more info.
> Dave

Yes, the feedback is useful.  Thank you, again :)

George
--
http://people.freedesktop.org/~gstaplin/