[Xquartz-dev] dead keys

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Mon Apr 6 07:22:16 PDT 2009

+ Christof Wolf <ch.wolf at hfph.mwn.de>:

> > What is the output of 'xinput test 2' during this experiment?
> not sure, what do you mean? on a Console?

I think he means this:

Open two terminal windows (or two xterms). In one window, run
xinput test 2   and let it run. In the other, run xev.

If I do this, put the cursor in the xev window and press and hold the
down arrow key for a while, the output from  xinput test 2  is only

key press   133
key release 133

(the second line appears when I let go of the key) while in the xev
window I see numerous keypress and keyrelease events for keycode
133. In other words, the xev output shows the key repeating, the
xinput output does not. (Hence I am not sure what useful info the test
will reveal in your case, but I expect Jeremy has a notion.)

- Harald