[Xquartz-dev] X Error

nico sl1200mk2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 10:06:54 PDT 2009

hi George, and thank ou for your answer.

George Peter Staplin a écrit :
> Quoted nico <sl1200mk2 at gmail.com>:
>
>> i had this error :
>> X Error of failed request : BadIDChoice (invalid resource ID chosen for
>> this connection)
>> Major opcode of failed request: 148 (RENDER)
>> Minor opcode of failed request: 4 (RenderCreatePicture)
>> Resource id in failed request: 0xa876d1
>> Serial number of failed request: 2704569
>> Current serial number in output stream: 2704572
>>

> Hi Nico,
>
> I believe I may have seen this error before in the context of Tk.  I'm
> a Tk maintainer/developer on SourceForge.
>
> Are you trying to draw text with something like Tk_DrawChars?  Be
> aware that Tk for X11 will fail if you try to draw to a 1-bit deep
> Pixmap.  This is a regression in Tk that occurred in 8.5, when the
> libXft-based text rendering was added.  libXft IIRC uses Render.  I
> wrote a patch for this issue that solved the problem for some users
> that used BLT and other extensions, but the other Tk developers
> thought the fix was too costly, and believed it would harm network Tk
> performance.  Unfortunately there isn't a better way of solving the
> problem, and it certainly hasn't been solved by the other developers,
> so if this is the problem, you should use a deeper Pixmap, or
> --disable-xft.
all my app is built over display and changing canvas text.... a shame !!
i don't use any extension exept Tk, and all text update are interpreted
via itemconfigure.
i never call Tk command directly, i always use the Tcl side.

if i use --disable-xft, font won't be aliased.... not so good

> An easy way to confirm if the problem is caused by what I suspect it
> is, is to configure Tk with --disable-xft.
>
> This is from the tk/unix/README:
>  --disable-xft           Disable support for antialiased fonts via the
>                                 Freetype/xft library. By default, this is
>                                 switched on whenever the configure
> script can
>                                 detect the required libraries.
>
> If the problem goes away, then look for pixmaps with limited depth,
> and try to use 8 or more as a depth.
as i'm using Tcl to update Tk's canvas, how can i determine if they're 1
bits or 8 bits depth ??

also, how can i try your patch because i'm not aware of Tcl network ?

> George

++
nico