[Xquartz-dev] GLX stereo and old hardware: request for enable_stereo

Martin Otte otte at duke.edu
Sat Apr 11 09:58:52 PDT 2009

I just wanted to post a summary of my problem where the latest X11
server on Tiger says that it can do stereo glx visuals, but any
program that attempts to create a stereo window crashes.

I tested with a non-X11 CGL program, and I get the same behavior. The
problem is that my computer (Powerbook G4, OSX 10.4.11) advertises
that opengl can do stereo, but it can only do stereo in full screen
mode, not per-window.

Since Apple's opengl says that it can do stereo, the X server sets up
all of the stereo glx visuals. But just like the native CGL programs
that I tried, any glx program that tries to create a windowed stereo
visual crashes with an error because it is not full screen.

I don't know if this is specifically a problem with Tiger or with
older hardware. An old G4 tower with an ATI video card running 10.4
displays the same behaviour.

I must have run into this problem before because I had set
enable_stereo to false in my x11 preferences, but this option seems
to be ignored with the recent X11 servers.

Can you bring back the enable_stereo preference option? It should
default to true it not set, but allow one to turn off stereo visuals
if the older hardware wrongly advertises that it can do stereo.

Thanks,
Martin