[Xquartz-dev] GLX stereo and old hardware: request for enable_stereo

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Apr 20 23:57:51 PDT 2009

On Apr 20, 2009, at 22:52, Martin Otte wrote:

> I have run into at least 2 glx programs that turn on windowed stereo
> mode by default if they query for a stereo visual and find that one
> is available.

With all due respect, this is beyond our control.  You really need to
file a bug report with the developers of that software.

> For example, here is a site that recommends setting enable_stereo to
> false if you get an error exactly like the one I had: http://mgltools.scripps.edu/documentation/faq/x-error-on-startup-mac-os-x

That setting is just for the old (Tiger) X11 server.  That was a great
big hack, and we're not going down that road again... especially on
Leopard where we CAN create windowed stereo contexts.

> I assumed that re-implementing the global enable_stereo preference
> option would be the easiest option. An environment variable would
> also be ok if it didn't require . If there could be an easy way to
> disable the false reporting that stereo visuals are available in
> Tiger, this would be useful at least for me.

Hmm... we could probably filter the visuals list that we generate when
the server starts to not show the stereo visuals (and thus your app
will not be allowed to use them), but then ALL applications on the X
server will see the shortened visuals list...

Still, this is a bug in your app, so please report it to the devs of
that app.