[Xquartz-dev] libGL.1.2.dylib shipped with 2.3.3 RC5 makes applications crash

vmrsss vmrsss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 20:35:05 PDT 2009

On 23 Apr 2009, at 03:42, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> That's using GL, but it's not using GLX.  The macosx output plugin
> for mplayer uses Cocoa.  It has nothing to do with GLX.

You're right about Cocoa of course.

>  If you're linking the macosx vo plugin against /usr/X11/lib/
> libGL.dylib, then you should expect it to not work.  The fact that
> it used to work was pure luck on your part.  You want to do -fw
> OpenGL to link against the correct libGL... not -lGL.

So, /usr/X11/libGL.dylib contains GLX and /System/Library/..../OpenGL/
Libraries/libGL.dylib contains GL (as used by Cocoa)? I am confused,
can you conjecture why if I replace the new libGL.dylib with the one
from 2.3.2.1 it all works? OK, luck, but there must be a technical
explanation too. I suppose the system loads /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib
in both cases, does it not?

(Also, it's not me who do -lGL, but a complex configure system. In
fact, the gcc commandline contains both -fw OpenGL and -lGL. And
you're telling me that -lGL should not be there at all...  I'll try to
find out and see what happens if I remove -lGL.)

> Can you please provide a specific instance of a GLX application that
> works with the old libGL but crashes with the new one?

At this stage I dont know how to tell apart GLX applications from
applications which use Cocoa/OpenGL (but possibly load /usr/X11/lib/
libGL.dylib): what I had done previously was to scan my disc for
applications which load /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib (to check which ones
worked and which did not). For instance I had found the crash
attached, which now looks to me exactly identical to the one we are
discussing. So I wonder, do I have any GLX application at all?