[Xquartz-dev] 10.5.7 and X11

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Apr 23 13:55:46 PDT 2009

I strongly recommend that if you have been using updates from http://xquartz.macosforge.org
, you install the 2.3.3 release after updating to 10.5.7 (see my
previous email).

Now, for those interested, I'd like to summarize the changes that went
into 10.5.7.

The X11 server in 10.5.7 is very similar to what is shipped in
2.3.2.1.  2.3.2.1 shipped  xorg-server-1.4.2-apple31, 10.5.7 uses
xorg-server-1.4.2-apple33 plus the capslock fix.

libGL is still the "old" libGL based off of mesa during the xfree86
era with some fixes along the way.

Xplugin was updated to address some memory leaks and add API needed by
this server update.

quartz-wm was updated to almost what was shipped in 2.3.3.  The only
difference between the 10.5.7 version and the 2.3.3 version is that
10.5.7's doesn't call the new XAppleWMSendPSN() function in
libAppleWM.  For most of you, this will mean nothing.  For those of
you running more than one server at a time, this means that 10.5.7
still has the "sometimes clicking on the minimized dock icon doesn't
raise a window" bug.

The rest of the client side was updated only where necessary to
satisfy a dependency (pixman I believe was updated for the server),
fix build issues (Xrandr, Xdamage), or address security issues
(freetype, libpng... you know, the regular offenders).

If you have any specific questions about what is in the update, feel
free to ask or just look yourself:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5.7/

Note that the link doesn't seem to be active yet, but it should be
valid in the next few days.