[Xquartz-dev] 2.4.0_rc2

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Mon Aug 10 17:39:38 PDT 2009

Jeremy,
   The rasmol sources have a line...

 # USER DEFINITIONS
 #
 #  At this point, you may define the cpp macro PIXELDEPTH as 8, 16 or 32
 #define PIXELDEPTH 32

What I find is that with the x86_64 binaries, the rasmol binary built
with PIXELDEPTH 32 fails with...

Renderer Error: Unable to allocate frame buffer!

whereas for the rasmol binary built with PIXELDEPTH 8 or 16, I get...

No suitable display detected!

This occurs on the Radeon X1600. On the Radeon HD2600, these binaries
run fine when built at 8, 16 or 32 PIXELDEPTH but the rasmol program
always reports [24-bit version]. Can you remind me how to debug this
so that when I run rasmol it will report what visuals are attempted to
be used?
             Jack
ps Again these issues don't exist with i386 binaries.