[Xquartz-dev] 2.4.0_rc2

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Aug 10 18:11:24 PDT 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 17:57, Jack Howarth wrote:

> Jeremy,
>   The code in question is avalable for viewing at...
>
> http://www.openrasmol.org/software/rasmol/src/x11win.c
>
> At first glance, it appears that for 8-bit visuals, the
> PseudoColor visual is used...

In which case, you would need to run the X11 server in "256 Color"
mode in X11's preferences... The PseudoColor visual only works in 8bit
mode.

> #ifdef THIRTYTWOBIT
>    if( XMatchVisualInfo(dpy,num,32,TrueColor,&visinfo) ||
>        XMatchVisualInfo(dpy,num,32,DirectColor,&visinfo) )
>    {   PixDepth = 32;
>    } else if( XMatchVisualInfo(dpy,num,24,TrueColor,&visinfo) ||
>               XMatchVisualInfo(dpy,num,24,DirectColor,&visinfo) )
>    {   PixDepth = 24;
>    } else /* No suitable display! */
>    {   XCloseDisplay(dpy);
>        return(0);
>    }

Ok, so XMatchVisualInfo(dpy,num,24,TrueColor,&visinfo) should
certainly match something... what does 'xdpyinfo' say is available?

> ...which explains the visual not found error message on x86_64 fink
> for the Radeon X1600.

Really?  How?  You should be getting a 24bit TrueColor visual...

> However, it would appear that TrueColor or
> DirectColor visuals could be used for 16 and 32 bit. On the Radeon
> X1600, the 16-bit version produces the visual not found error

really? It looks like it should find a 15bit visual.

> whereas
> the 32-bit version of rasmol produces the error...
>
> Renderer Error: Unable to allocate frame buffer!

That's likely an error with its use of GLX after it was able to get a
visual...

> On an HD2600, no matter what I set PIXELDEPTH to, the program runs
> fine but reports a 24-bit pixel depth (which oddly isn't one of the
> options in the source).

/shrug

> When I run...
>
> bash-3.2$ export LIBGL_DIAGNOSTIC=1
> bash-3.2$ export LIBGL_DUMP_VISUALID=1
>
> all I get is...
>
> bash-3.2$ rasmol
> RasMol Molecular Renderer
> Roger Sayle, August 1995
> Copyright (C) Roger Sayle 1992-1999
> Version 2.7.2.1.1 January 2004
> Copyright (C) Herbert J. Bernstein 1998-2004
> *** See "help notice" for further notices ***
> [32-bit version]
>

> Renderer Error: Unable to allocate frame buffer!

Then it hasn't even bothered to make a GLX call... or you're not
linking against our libGL.

> xpdyinfo shows...
>  default visual id:  0x24
>  visual:
>    visual id:    0x24
>    class:    TrueColor
>    depth:    24 planes
>    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
>    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
>    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

You should be finding this visual...

>  visual:
>    visual id:    0x263
>    class:    DirectColor
>    depth:    24 planes
>    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
>    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
>    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

This doesn't look like a recent server release.  Are you sure you're
using a recent server?  What does X11->About X11 say the version is?
We should not be providing any DirectColor visuals any more...