[Xquartz-dev] Weird 2.4.0_rc2 expose issue

Jamie Kennea jamie at pompey.org
Wed Aug 12 13:24:59 PDT 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> It's entirely possible that the "bad" xterm window was started
> before quartz-wm checked in with the server... thus that xterm
> window wasn't flagged to pass focus events to quartz-wm for handling.
>
> Was the rogue xterm started as 'app_to_run' by chance?  It might've
> just won the race against quartz-wm checking in...

I think you might have something here (I note your later email BTW, so
bear with me). I was able reproduce this problem.

I work on a great number of computers, and as shortcuts I have little
scripts to start xterms with ssh sessions to various computers on my
desktop, that I click to run. I just recreated this problem by
starting X11 by clicking on one of these icons, which started an
Xterm  (ssh I believe is irrelevant here).

The important thing I think is that sometimes the xterm appears before
quartzwm is fully initialized, so appears briefly with no decoration.
An xterm that starts in this way suffers the expose problem.

A second time I did this, the xterm seemed to appear "fully formed"
and didn't have the issue.

I did the same thing each time, the 2nd time probably worked because
things tend to load faster the 2nd time you run a program.

The fix for me will be to always start X11 by clicking on the X11 icon
first, as I use X11 99% of the time. It was only due to the Safari
4.0.3 force reboot that I had restarted X11 in this way.

Jamie