[Xquartz-dev] 2.5.0_beta1

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Thu Dec 3 22:08:48 PST 2009

Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> writes:
> Please let me know if there are any issues.

Just had a most bizarre semi-freezeup in 2.5.0_beta1, unlike anything
I've ever seen before.  All of my existing windows stopped responding
to mouse clicks --- in some of them a click produced a double beep,
in others nothing.  I could still open new windows, switch focus
via command-digit, and type into the active window.  X11's menus
still worked too, and I could quit normally.

Once before, Jeremy asked for an activity monitor sample of X11 to
investigate a freezeup, so I took one before restarting X11.

I have a grand total of perhaps an hour's runtime with 2.5.0_beta1
so far, so I'm suspecting this won't be too terribly hard to reproduce.
What data should I gather next time?

			regards, tom lane

Sampling process 142 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time between samples
Sampling completed, processing symbols...
Analysis of sampling X11.bin (pid 142) every 1 millisecond
Call graph:
    2342 Thread_875   DispatchQueue_1: com.apple.main-thread  (serial)
      2342 start
        2342 main
          2342 mach_msg_server
            2342 mach_startup_server
              2342 _Xstart_x11_server
                2342 do_start_x11_server
                  2342 server_main
                    2342 X11ApplicationMain
                      2342 -[NSApplication run]
                        2342 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:]
                          2342 _DPSNextEvent
                            2342 BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode
                              2342 ReceiveNextEventCommon
                                2342 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode
                                  2342 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
                                    2342 __CFRunLoopRun
                                      2342 mach_msg
                                        2342 mach_msg_trap
    2342 Thread_966   DispatchQueue_2: com.apple.libdispatch-manager  (serial)
      2342 start_wqthread
        2342 _pthread_wqthread
          2342 _dispatch_worker_thread2
            2342 _dispatch_queue_invoke
              2342 _dispatch_mgr_invoke
                2342 kevent
    2342 Thread_975
      2342 thread_start
        2342 _pthread_start
          2342 server_thread
            2342 dix_main
              2342 Dispatch
                2342 WaitForSomething
                  2342 select$DARWIN_EXTSN
    2342 Thread_976
      2342 thread_start
        2342 _pthread_start
          2342 xpbproxy_x_thread
            2342 xpbproxy_input_loop
              2342 _pthread_cond_wait
                2342 __semwait_signal
    2342 Thread_987
      2342 thread_start
        2342 _pthread_start
          2342 DarwinProcessFDAdditionQueue_thread
            2342 _pthread_cond_wait
              2342 __semwait_signal
    2342 Thread_995
      2342 thread_start
        2342 _pthread_start
          2342 __CFSocketManager
            2342 select$DARWIN_EXTSN
    2342 Thread_999
      2342 thread_start
        2342 _pthread_start
          2342 _xp_async_thread
            2342 _xp_async_dequeue
              2342 _pthread_cond_wait
                2342 __semwait_signal

Total number in stack (recursive counted multiple, when >=5):
        5       _pthread_start
        5       thread_start

Sort by top of stack, same collapsed (when >= 5):
        __semwait_signal        7026
        select$DARWIN_EXTSN        4684
        kevent        2342
        mach_msg_trap        2342
Sample analysis of process 142 written to file /dev/stdout