[Xquartz-dev] Xquartz-dev Digest, Vol 16, Issue 2

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Feb 4 00:33:53 PST 2009

On Feb 3, 2009, at 07:38, Christof Wolf wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 February 2009, xquartz-dev-
> request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:
>> Ok, this is just bizarre... So you have 10.5.6 + XQuartz 2.3.2.1
>> and a
>> vanilla user sees 100% CPU usage when you start X11.app?  There has
>> got to be some other factor at play here...
>
> Jeremy,
>
> it is bizarre! I have 10.5.6, MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,
> DDR2 SDRAM.

Ok, well that's my exact system... hrm...

> The problem with the CPU started with X11 2.3.2.beta2. I did all
> previous tests with X11 2.4.0_alpha2 and 2.3.2.1.
>
> For now I am back to 2.3.2 beta1 - there the CPU does not go crazy
> at all.
> That's what I don't get, why does 2.3.1 beta1 not cause this
> behavior, but
> all others do. Not sure if that matters, but there is one visible
> difference
> between 2.3.2. beta1 and all later versions. All fonts are much
> smaller
> displayed in beta1 than in the others.

Yeah, that's the version bump in which I changed the font dpi, but
that should not affect this behavior.  In fact, I seem to recall
enumerating each change in the server between beta1 and beta2 and none
of them seemed related...

> The other thing I noticed, I had to go back to .xinitrc again - with
> 90-kde.sh
> beta1 wont find any kde program.

Yeah, I think the ~/.xinitrc.d stuff got added around beta3 or rc1...

Sorry, unless I get some more info, there's not really much more I can
do here.  There was one person reporting high CPU usage on Tiger, so
hopefully that might pan out to something...

In fact... would you mind installing MacPorts and doing a 'sudo port -
v install xorg-server'?  Then run /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app ...
atleast then I might be able to feed you Portfiles to use to pull in
older versions to start bisecting this.