[Xquartz-dev] MacPorts XQuartz 2.3.2 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple32) has problems with $PATH

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 17 14:59:49 PST 2009

Peter Dyballa wrote:
[]
> Why? The previous version in MacPorts worked OK, it inherited $PATH and
> I could use AUCTeX. Carbon Emacsen or the Cocoa variant Emacs.app of GNU
> Emacs 23.0.90 all inherit the correct environment and are useful
> applications. Is X11.app no Mac OS X application?

X11.app is, but not startx or ~/.xinitrc. If you start your X11 clients
from the X11 "Applications" menu, they will get your shell environment.
The same is true for the program executed as "app_to_run" when X11.app
starts up. But if you start X clients from ~/.xinitrc, they will only
see the environment that is handed down from launchd, not the one from
X11.app.

--
Martin