[Xquartz-dev] MacPorts XQuartz 2.3.2 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple32) has problems with $PATH

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Fri Feb 20 08:35:51 PST 2009

Am 20.02.2009 um 16:01 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

> I'd put in some debugging stuff into your ~/.tcshrc or whatever that
> saves the $PATH to a file before and after setting, so you can see
> what's going on...

This file is OK since some years, $path is the same as $PATH. When I
create a new instance of Terminal it echoes what it has read before.
Xterm in MacPorts' X11 has the same echo output as Terminal.

After I have launched X11, a different value is echoed into Console.

> similarly, maybe put something in /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app/
> Contents/MacOS/X11 that does the same thing... then you can maybe
> start narrowing down what's happening.

Before the case block is entered, bash's PATH is the one as read with
defaults from ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.

So the change happens around:

	csh|tcsh) exec -l "${SHELL}" -c 'exec $argv:q' "${@}" ;;

When I invoke in bash (invoked by 'bash <RET>' which reads ~/.bashrc)
inside Terminal

	exec -l /bin/tcsh -c 'exec $argv:q' "${@}"

the correct path and PATH settings are echoed from ~/.cshrc (because
I don't have a ~/.tcshrc file).

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Debugging? Klingons do not debug! Our software does not coddle the
weak."