[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.3-beta1

George Peter Staplin georgeps at xmission.com
Fri Feb 27 02:36:31 PST 2009

Quoted Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com>:

> You're just not noticing it rotate.  It might look slow, but the
> reported framerate is right.  If the gear rotates 721 degrees per
> frame, it'll look the same as 1 degree per frame.  You can't "see" the
> framerate in the demo... That's why it's printed ;)
>
> --Jeremy

There is something I've noticed and can't explain.  Some of the older
glxgears seem to appear faster, even when using the new libGL for the
old glxgears, but when I use the testbuilds/glxgears it appears
slower.  So, there does seem to be some glxgears source code or
compilation difference.

The glxgears_fbconfig appears fast, but also buggy.  I see what appear
to be artifacts on the Mac (with an ATI card) and I just tested the
same code using an X11 Nvidia card/libGL, and found the same issues
there.  I can't quite explain why, because the frame rates are
equivalent.

When I compare the framerate of glxgears_fbconfig it's printing:
~5400

So the glxgears_fbconfig code must have changed something more than
just from a visual to a GLXFBConfig.

The normal glxgears is: ~5500 and appears much smoother on both the
Mac and Ubuntu systems.

What version of glxgears are you shipping with XQuartz?  Is it from
the Mesa demos or some other source?  Perhaps we could use diff to see
what has changed.

Jordan, I have been running the latest code in OpenGL Profiler.app,
and the stats seem to be accurate with regard to what the profiler
says the frame rate is.  I have also made some performance
improvements and bugs fixes the past 2 days.  The more realistic
OpenGL applications seem to be pretty fast, such as Pymol, and the
more complex Mesa demos.

The glXSwapBuffers() path that calls CGLFlushDrawable seems to be
simple and operational.  It's what swaps the buffer to redraw a frame
in a double-buffered context.  I expect we would see a lot of redraw
problems if it wasn't working, and the profiler doesn't list any
problems there that I have seen.

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 23:57, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>> So, I've just confirmed this problem on a MacPro with an 8800GT
>> card as well as a MacBook Pro with built-in 8600GT.  The symptom is
>>  that glxgears claims high frame rates but does not actually
>> animate  with any speed at all (maybe 1-2 FPS).  With the shipping
>> Leopard  version of the X server, the same demo flies.
>>
>> - Jordan

>> On Feb 25, 2009, at 6:10 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>
>>> Aside from the server change, this release is almost the same as
>>> the 2.4.0_beta1 release (meaning all the client side updates are
>>> still present).  The only change outside the server is for libpng.
>>>   libpng has been updated to address a security vulnerability
>>> (another reason I want to get out another stable release).  See
>>> the draft release notes for full details:
>>>
>>> http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.3.3
>>>
>>> The dmg for the release is here:
>>>
>>> http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/X11-2.3.3_beta1.dmg

George