[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2.1: Colors wrong in vim in xterm

Chris Linstid clinstid at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 12:29:32 PST 2009

In case anyone else is having this problem and is interested in the
solution...

According to the xterm maintainer, it was a problem with the way that vim
polls xterm for the available number of colors.  In 238, he actually fixed
how xterm was reporting it (because vim users were asking him to), but vim
doesn't deal with it correctly (yet) and it screws up.  (I hope I didn't
mangle his explanation too much)

I fixed this by adding the following to my .vimrc file before I set the
color scheme:

set t_Co=256

    - Chris