[Xquartz-dev] 2.4.0_beta4 and beta5

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Jul 21 14:04:00 PDT 2009

On Jul 21, 2009, at 13:53, Brian Bender wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I just installed _beta4 (didn't do the sparkle update to _beta5 yet),
> and found something not working wrt. different color depths that did
> work in 2.3.3.2 and earlier:
>
> I use rdesktop to deal with remote Windows machines. In previous
> X11.app versions, I was able to scale back the color depth, but in
> 2.4.0_beta4, I get a black client window if I specify 8- or 16-bit
> color depth (rdesktop -a 8|16|24).

That worked in earlier versions?  It shouldn't've ... that's been a
known bug since 2.0.  If you want 8bit visuals, you need to run the
server in 8bit-only mode.  Sorry.

> If I specify 24-bit color depth,
> rdesktop warns that the remote doesn't support 24-bit and is falling
> back to 16-bit (but I think that my local window is still 24-bit color
> at that point, right?).

Probably.

> I have "Colors" set to "From display" in
> X11.app, and my Mac's displays are set to "Millions". It does the same
> thing if I set X11.app explicitly to "Millions"
>
> (If I force X11.app's color depth to 256 color, I can also force
> rdesktop to 8-bit color)

Yep, that is the expected behavior right now.

> Any suggestions what I can look at to see where it's getting stuck?

I'm surprised it ever worked for you other than this way... this is
how it's been intended to work ever since I readded PseudoColor
support about a year ago.  I never enabled PseudoColor visuals in the
TrueColor mode server.